Dear reader, in this article we will understand what is affect CBD to depression, what is a serious human disease.
It is what Wikipedia says about depression: “Depression (from Latin ‘deprimo” to press (down), to suppress “) is a mental disorder, the main symptoms of which are a low mood and a decrease or loss of the ability to have the pleasure (anhedonia). Usually, some of the following symptoms: decreased self-esteem, inadequate guilt, pessimism, impaired concentration, fatigue or lack of energy, sleep and appetite disorders, suicidal tendencies. Severe forms of depression are characterized by the so-called “depressive triad”: decreased mood, mental retardation, and motor retardation.
Researches of scientists in this field show that depression is usually caused by several reasons. The degree to which a person is susceptible to depression is variable and varies for several reasons (for example genetics, and mental stability).
Depression may have different reasons, for example, hormonal imbalance, financial troubles, woman postpartum depression, and even the period of the year. By the way, people who had many childhood traumas are more likely to be depressed. Scientists also note that taking drugs and drinking alcohol in large doses can provoke depression.
Based on the results of scientists, we can distinguish the main symptoms of depression: depressed mood, loss of pleasure, fatigue, loss of self-confidence or self-esteem, excessive self-criticism or unfounded feelings of guilt, repeated thoughts of death or suicide, or attempts to it, sleep disturbances, changes appetite and weight.
Depression has many faces. According to the international classification ICD-10, there is a certain classification of types of depression. Let’s review the information from this source:
– depressive episode – a disorder with the symptoms such as depression from several weeks to a year. Appetite usually decreases and a human has a prostration;
– major depression – a depressive episode of average and moderate course. The person feels depressed even positive situations happen;
– recurrent depressive disorder – series of depressive episodes lasting 14 days;
– psychotic depression – a disorder with not only signs of depression such as dispiritedness and bad mood, but also signs of psychosis (hallucinations, delirium);
– postpartum depression – a disorder that can be caused by hormonal changes, the anxiety of a young mother. Sometimes in this state, a woman has a desire to kill herself or a child (this is in extreme cases);
– catatonic depression – a serious condition in which a person enters a stupor and remains silent and motionless for some time;
– atypical depression – this kind of depression differs from the symptoms of major depression. In this case, a person has a good mood, and at the same time, a person tends to eat more and usually sleep for a long time. Often this type of depression is common among adolescents;
– dysthymic disorder – chronic depression, lasting from two years. It is not as acute as major depressive disorder, the person is inherently pessimistic;
– bipolar affective disorder – an alternation of a bad mood, depression with active bouts of joy and good mood.
How depression can be diagnosed? That’s what experts think about it: it is important to correctly determine the type and the stage of depression to find the right treatment.
Around the world, are used different disease classification systems: in Europe, the most common is the International Classification of Diseases (ICD), revision 10 of the World Health Organization.
According to this classification, the diagnosis of “depressive episode” or depression” is determined if at least 2 symptoms of this disease appear within 2 weeks.
Experts note that an important reason for calling a doctor is the appearance of thoughts of suicide. It is important to remember that it is not a conscious decision of the person, it is a disorder which, with the proper treatment, will be healed.
So, what types of depression treatment are classified by experts?
According to research, there are 3 types of treatment:
Let’s focus on the medication method for treating depression. Scientific research shows that there are some classic medications available to treat this disorder.
Doctor William Coryell, MD, Carver College of Medicine at University of Iowa classifies these drugs as:
– selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs);
– serotonin modulators (5-HT2 blockers);
– serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors;
– inhibitors of the reuptake of norepinephrine and dopamine;
– heterocyclic antidepressants;
– monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs);
– melatonergic antidepressant.
The choice of medication may depend on the degree and type of depression and looking at the reaction to a previous course of antidepressants. SSRIs are often prescribed as the first choice.
Classic medicines have many side effects: nausea, chills, muscle pain, dizziness, anxiety, irritability, insomnia, and increased fatigue. This is especially true with withdrawal symptoms.
As for CBD, how does it affect depression?
Let’s consider the opinions of experts in this sphere.
Recent research shows that CBD can interact with the endocannabinoid system of the human body and reduce the symptoms of depression.
The endocannabinoid system is a network of components in the human body that play an important role in the internal biological system. The Endocannabinoid system is responsible for regulating and balancing (homeostasis) the body’s response to certain triggers.
Preclinical studies confirm that CBD has excellent antidepressant effects.
How does it work?
Recently, doctors have been recommending CBD as an alternative depression treatment for patients.
Depression is often accepted as a neurochemical imbalance. However, many scientists believe that neurochemical deficiency is a symptom rather than a cause of depression. Many doctors pay attention to reducing the number of triggers that can be a reason of depression.
Can CBD Cure Depression?
No. However, CBD can reduce depression and its symptoms. The human body produces its cannabinoids, called endocannabinoids, aided by the consumption of fatty acids found in foods such as fish, nuts, and seeds. Cannabis works with the human endocannabinoid system. This system regulates such human processes as sleep and appetite. Endocannabinoids communicate with specific receptors in the human brain and enhance the effects of serotonin, a neurochemical that makes mood better and relieves stress.
CBD activates receptors that interfere with and increase serotonin levels. The effects of CBD on the endocannabinoid system are relaxing and calming.
Brazilian scientists have proven the effectiveness of CBD treatment of depression. Doing that, they conducted studies on rats and mice. Test animals were given a dose of CBD and placed in stressful situations, such as immersion in water. As a result, CBD appears to have a long-term antidepressant effect. Traditional medical preparations work less than for 7 days.
This study also concluded that CBD exhibits “antidepressant”. Its effects comparable to “imipramine,” a well-known antidepressant. The results of this test showed that cannabidiol had a positive effect on the physical activity of the experimental animals. The researchers concluded that the rats were more active and motivated after using CBD.
The conclusions of the scientists were commented on by Dr. Samia Hoka. She believes that cannabis triggers neuroplastic mechanisms that can repair a neural network, which was destroyed by depression.
Does CBD Have Side Effects?
If CBD is taken orally, by inhalation, side effects usually do not occur, of course, if the dose is controlled and regulated by the doctor.
With CBD abuse and overdose, or if someone is sensitive to compounds in CBD, people can get:
– changes in appetite or weight;
– an attack of paranoia.
Cannabis is a natural product, which means CBD can also work with various medications. However, it is important to consult a doctor to avoid side effects.
Experts have an opinion that in the future, on the base of CBD will be able to create a natural antidepressant.
What are the side effects of antidepressants?
Experts answer this question as follows:
– somatic symptoms (headache, nausea, joint pain, muscle pain, rash, and diarrhea);
– sexual dysfunction (decreased sexual desire, delayed ejaculation in men, and inability to achieve orgasm in women);
– suicide (taking antidepressants doubles the likelihood of suicidal thoughts);
– weight gain;
– sleep disorders;
– daytime sleepiness.
We may conclude that antidepressants have more side effects than CBD. Cannabis is more likely to have a positive effect on the human body if it would be used in reasonable doses. It does not affect weight gain, sleep, it rather helps to relax and sleeping becomes deeper and calmer.
Also, when using CBD before sexual intercourse, you can get a positive effect: the orgasm may be stronger, for example, if you use a lubricant based on cannabis and coconut oil. Also, the mental state will be calm, unnecessary thoughts will go away, which let concentrate on the process of sex and get a strong orgasm. As we know, orgasms are the prevention of depression. Orgasm increases oxytocin, what is responsible for a good mood.
This article is not propaganda to use cannabis or antidepressants. The article is informative. After comparing the testimony of scientists and doctors, we described the effects of cannabis and antidepressants in the treatment of such disorder as depression. The state of depression cannot be ignored. If it occurs, it must be fought. And which way to choose is a decision up to the person and his doctor.
Stay healthy and happy, reader!